Wednesday, December 9, 2009

WELCOME TO THE HALF NUTZ GROUP


I want to welcome you to the half nutz group.
I figured we are a little nutz for doing this
but we will have fun along the way as we
reach our goal of a half marathon.
I have created this blog so I can keep everyone
posted on what is going on in our group.
I will be posting pics from time to time and
report all your accomplishments during our
half marathon training.
I started running with Runnersworld for a little
over 3 years. I started the same way you all are
doing learning how to put one foot in front of the
other. I never had ran before and I didn't think
I could even do 3 miles let alone a half marathon.
Coach Kathy always told us that we could do anything
we set our mind on doing. I started out with baby steps
learning how to run from lightpole to lightpole and finally
I progressed to where I could run a half mile without
stopping.
I have ran two half marathons and numorous 5K's.
I have heart issues so I have to keep my pace
slow and the meds I am on makes it hard for me
to breathe like I should while running but I push
on and never give up no matter how long it may
take me to finish. Last April I did the OKC half
marathon and afterwards I had a heart episode
and passed out and my heart dr. told me I needed
to slow down and just run a few miles only. I changed
my meds and it is helping, so having thought I would
never attempt another half marathon I wasn't going
to be a run leader but maybe help out with just the walkers
because I am good at that. I just returned back from
a trip to Greece with our running group and had so much
fun I decided to join them again to Scotland in May 2010
but not run because they only had a half marathon and marathon.
My daughter decided she wanted to go with us this time and try
doing the half marathon and she wanted me to do it with her.
I was a little skeptical about trying this again but I said what
the heck I will give it a try. I don't know if my dr. would
approve but I am doing it anyways so as the saying goes
for you all is "Do as I say not as I do". I then decided I would
be a run leader and hope that I can help each one of you
along the way to achieve your goals. I know you can do it
and we will get through it together one foot at a time.
I'm not going to sugar coat it and say it will be easy
because it won't, but with a little hard work it can be done.
I am going to be trying a new method of running 1 minute
and walking 1 minute which will make it easier for my
condition and it will help you beginners too. I hope you
will want to join me doing this but you aren't
required to stay with me and do what I am doing.
Everyone sets there own pace and do what feels right for them.
I look forward to meeting each one of you and get to know
you a little better and hope you will get to know me
better too. I look at it as making new friends and
cheering you to the finish.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Susan and all the other Half Nutz,

    My name is Cindy Landers, and I'm totally new to running. I'm excited but nervous about this journey, but I'm ready to test myself and see what I'm able to do.

    Susan, I met you the other night at Runner's World orientation, and I really appreciate your kind and encouraging words. I look forward to meeting the rest of you.

    CL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog, Coach Susan!! I have it linked to the RW blog, and also to the "Faster than Oprah" blog.

    ReplyDelete